4.08.2008

It's been three years...










So lately I've been thinking about how fast everything seems to be moving these days. I feel like a whole lot of drastic changes started occurring in my life about three years ago and ever since they just seem to keep on coming. I'm sure that most of you reading this are familiar with everything Sanctus Real went through around that time; losing our bass player, close friends getting divorced, our singer's grandmother passed away while he had to be on the road. Finally then, the hardest issue for me personally; on the same day my son Ben was born my Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Since that time period the crazy changes, both good and bad, have kept coming. Let's see; besides me having my first child and my Dad dying of cancer unexpectedly at the age of 47 (making my Mom a widow at the age of 50), Sanctus Real gets new bass player (Dan Gartley), Sanctus Real puts out third cd called The Face Of Love, Sanctus Real adds a fifth member (Pete Prevost), my sister Patti gets pregnant and has a baby boy named Seth (making me an uncle), Sanctus Real fires management, Sanctus Real hires new management, We go on the Winter Jam tour playing in front of 10-20,000 people a night, We spend all year writing and recording We Need Each Other, Susan and I find out we're pregnant again, Patti gets married to her boyfriend, my Grandma Robinson passes away, I start teaching drum lessons Tuesday nights when I'm home, we go on tour with Steven Curtis Chapman, WNEO comes out, I turn 30, Sanctus Real fires management again (currently manager-less), we go on tour with Third Day, my Grandma Graalman passes away (making me officially Grandparent-less), my other sister Sarah gets engaged (getting married August 31st), Susan and I buy a mini-van (Honda Odyssey) and in less than three weeks my beautiful wife will be giving birth to our second baby; Nathaniel Yo-Soon Graalman. Does that sound like a crazy three years to any else!?! And that's just the major stuff!
So anyways, life is just wild at times and it just seems to be getting wilder all the time any more. But when all is said and done it really just makes me even more thankful that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He's absolutely faithful. When I look back at the last three years of my life I wonder how I haven't just gone crazy and lost my mind in the midst of all this chaos. It must just simply be that God loves me enough to give me the grace to get through all of these major life changes and to come out the other side sensing His presence, resting in His peace and feeling completely confident that He hasn't once left my side. As my Pastor, Bill Herzog, always says; "God is good all the time because that is His nature".
I think what really got me thinking about these things this week though was Saturday. You see this past Saturday was April 5th, the anniversary of my Dad's death. Three years ago April 5th was a Tuesday night and on that Tuesday night at 10:15 p.m. EST my Dad, Mark S. Graalman Sr. went to Heaven to be with Jesus forever. I guess I've just been thinking about him a lot lately and thinking about how much he's missed, although, maybe he hasn't missed anything? Maybe he can see everything that's going on down here? I'm not sure how that works, but I can think of a couple scriptures that would suggest maybe that people in Heaven are watching us and cheering us on in a sense. I don't know.
Well in memory of my Dad, here are some pic's of him: You see, he had some unique hobbies. At the age of 13 he started getting into Amateur Radio and played around with that stuff all his life. His call letters were WB8JKR. He was also into "Tesla Coils". The one pictured here was the biggest one he ever built. He called it Pandora. It shot lighting bolts over 8' long! Yea, our neighbors thought he was nuts! He definitely was a bit of a mad scientist. He was kind of an electronics genius who could pretty much build or fix anything. He played guitar when he was a kid and then picked it back up later on in life just because it was something he always wished he'd gotten good at. Lastly, here's a couple pic's of him holding Ben. He got two months with Ben, (February 4th to April 5th '05'), before he would be forced to leave us but as he himself said, "Heaven means never having to say goodbye".
I miss you Dad. I love you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear friend Mark (at least that's how I feel when I read these)

Thanks for this amazing blog. May God's peace continue to reign in your life and those around you. You're such an inspiration and encouragement.

Much love to you and your family.

Be blessed!

Rockermom

The Craig said...

Hey Mark, I don't know if you remember me but I work for WAY-FM in Tallahassee, we booked that show with you guys in February.

This post really means a lot to me. We talked after the show about our fathers, and it's going to be one year in the coming weeks since I lost my dad. I really enjoyed our talk and I really appreciate this post a lot.

Thanks so much

Cherylyn. said...

Mark, my friend.
This blog almost made me cry.
what a whirlwind of life-changing, tragic & happy things that have happened to you in the last few years.
I'll be praying that God keeps his arms around you as your life continues to change!
I am so excited for you, Susan, & Ben .... your new family member is on the way!
I can't wait to see what this little boy looks like!

& i really hope to reunite with you again soon.
come back to Virginia Beach...or at least nearby so i can come see your face!

p.s. i love your blogarooney to the max. your words hit me in the heart!

andra said...

Mark,

May God continue to bless you and your family! I can't wait to see Nathaniel (i love this name)!

Keep rockin'!!! Love ya, Sanctus Real!

-a.

Jessica said...

Mark,
It was truly amazing to see just what you have been through over the past few years. Life is chaotic, and it is comforting to know that in the midst of all that chaos, God still remains the same. I have been through some pretty hard things over the past six months. I've lost a close friend, and my job. I was without a job for 4 months.During this time I struggled with why all of this had happened to me. I became so focused on why I suddenly became the "dumping grounds" for other people, that I completely forgot about God. (well I guess not completely, but He wasn't first in my mind)This past Christmas was a hard one for me. I love to give gifts, and since I didn't have a job, I couldn't. After our Christmas Eve service at Church, I gathered th stack of Christmans Cards from my church family and headed to the car. I decided I would take a look at the cards I recieved. When I took one card out of the envelope, it looked pretty normal, but when I opened it, I started to cry. Inside the card was a simple message that spoke to me more than anything had since all of the chaos began. It said "God is good ALL the time". I began weeping. There were no names on the card and they had even contained a gift card in with the message. I found two more cards just like that in the pile. I still don't know who gave me those cards, but I am very grateful that they took the time to remind me about God's infinte goodness. My Church Family was really there for me, they shared my burdens, encouraged me and really showed me the love of Christ. Before all of this happened, I had been questioning whether or not I was loved. This took away any doubt I had left in my mind. Since then, I have started a wonderful job, in a Christian organization whose mission statement is to affirm the worth of everyone and show Christ's love. I have wonderful bosses who treat me with respect and who have really made me feel welcome. I can honestly say I love my job. This is such an awesome answer to prayer! This experience has shown me so many things, but it especailly pulled me closer to God.
Thank-you for your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share with people you don't even know. Thanks for showing me that I am not the only one who struggles and reaffirming God's Unchanging nature.
I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family. Congrats on the new addition.

God Bless,
Jess

StrangelyNormalSteph said...

What a beautiful post Mark. The story about your father is one that hits home for me especially-it reminds me of my mother's story. My grandfather (my mom's dad) died of an an aneurysm right after my first birthday. Today would've been his seventy-fifth birthday, and all I could do before work this morning was listen to "Benjamin" and cry.

But just as there's tragedy, there's also so many blessings the Lord has given you! It's the sign of somebody who is loved beyond compare!

-Stephanie