2.20.2008

Do people really buy this stuff?




Ok so I've been out on the road this week with my Sanctus brothers doing all sorts of promo stuff for the new record and it's been quite the journey to say the least. I'll probably write more about it later but for now, I'm going to ask a simple question; do people really buy this stuff!?!
You see due to the nature of our job, being on the road traveling, we tend to stop at a lot of truck stops and gas stations to fuel up, use the rest room and grab a snack or beverage. What never ceases to amaze me though are the extremely tacky and very strange "knick knacks" that are almost always for sale at these places. For example: The strange stuffed dog with his buddy the friendly Hill Billy. I guess if I was a Hill Billy myself and happened to own a dog that resembled this one then maybe I would consider picking up these lovely items, but I still kind of doubt it.
Then there is the Grim Reaper version of Skeletor, (everyone remember He-Man?), hanging out with a happy little Southern Frog gentleman. Somehow they just don't seem as likely friends, yet here they are, side by side. Rather unbelievable if you ask me. Finally we have Jesus and the Angels on the top shelf, which at first seems appropriate, but then you realize they're standing next to an old outhouse and then it all feels borderline blasphemous. Well like I said earlier; tacky, very tacky.
So what do you think? Do people really but this stuff!?! Would any of you buy this stuff? If you would, are you still willing to admit it now that I've completely made fun of it? I'd love to know your thoughts on this strange phenomenon!

6 comments:

Keeli4Jesus said...

Yeah, I have always noticed these nasty knick knacks myself, and I would never buy them. I don't know why gas stations have to sell them. Why do they, Mark, why?? LOL.

PS- LOVE the new album! Great to worship to! and... I love the latest video podcast-it makes me smile!

Jaime said...

LOL! I bought a little horse figurine once, but it was nothing like most of the stuff I see in those places.
I've often wondered why they bother stocking their shelves with stuff like that...couldn't they use the space for stuff that poeple who come in would actually need?

Hey, I heard you on the radio when you were in St. Louis! That was cool!
LOL, I didn't know that you were a stolen drummer! ;)

Holly said...

I don't buy these things (and never would.... except maybe as a really bad gag gift hahah), and I don't think i know anyone who actually HAS bought them, but I've definitely met my fair share of people who WOULD. you know?

StrangelyNormalSteph said...

Ahh, the various things you find at the Dollar Tree (although I refuse to dissmiss the DT because any place where everything is a dollar is my kind of place).

I just about died from the angels & outhouse thing. I have no idea why, but I found it so funny.

Unknown said...

So how many did you buy?

Cassie said...

I can't say I'd buy it..but it is one of those unexplainable things out in this big wide world that we may never know why they exist until we get to Heaven adn God says something along the line of- yeah I thought it was funny!